Author Topic: Shand Morino  (Read 786 times)

Uncle Henry

Shand Morino
« on: January 18, 2014, 02:25:17 PM »
Reading the very interesting article by Roy Magna on the Shand Morino I was delighted to see a mention of a box that I once owned back in the early 1980s, and even more delighted to see a picture of it restored in his Photo Gallery.  The box in question is the gold/silver one which was made on spec by Hohner in approx. 1959 and presently owned and restored by Dave Pullar. I first came across that box being played in a pub in North London in the mid sixties.  I think the guy who owned it had bought it from Bell Accordions.  I got to know him welland heard him play at the many Irish music sessions that were in various London pubs in those days.  It was in the early eighties that I heard he had died and his wife was trying to sell his box.  It was in poor condition and virtually unplayable.  I bought it and took it to accordion repairer Neil Nilsson to see if he could do anything with it.  He made it playable but there was still a lot of work to do.  I played it at various venues and it was always a talking point because of its decorated body work.  One musician referred to it a Romany Caravan.  ( I can imagine why Shand wasn't too keen on the colour)  I eventually left the UK to live in Ireland and when things started going wrong with the box I found it hard to find a repairer who was familiar with Shand Morinos. I traded it off to a friend in the UK and it obviously made its way back to Scotland. I once took part in a small home made film called 'Heroes just for a day' In the film I had to play the box at a dance and I used that box.  So a bit of film featuring the box is out there somewhere. 8)

roymagna

• Shand Morino Owner
Re: Shand Morino
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 04:05:10 PM »
Hi Uncle Henry,
                         A lot of water has gone under the bridge since I first saw that box in Hohner's  shop window in Farringdon Rd. all those years ago
     It is very interesting to hear your part in it's history.What make of box do you have these days ? I am hoping that you are still playing.

Roy.   
Roy

Bill

• Hohner owner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 04:59:23 PM »
What an interesting piece of history. That gold Shand Morino may be on display at the Shand Morino Gathering tomorrow, as it has been in previous years. If it is, we can look at it with greater interest, knowing this addition to its history.

Uncle Henry

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 12:30:35 AM »
Hi Roy - Ref Hohners in Farringdon Road.  I remember that shop very well and actually bought an accordion tutor in there  called Capt Reilly's Tutor for 1, 2 and 3 row accordions.  I found it very useful when changing over to a three row from a two row box. I still have it.  I still play but have recently being getting cramps in my right hand which I find annoying, especially in the middle of a tune.  I own a Shand Morino 1970s but as I get older I find it a bit heavy, so I may sell it one of these days..  I also own a Paolo Soprani three row which was bought in 1964 (Blue Badge) but the box I use most nowadays is a Gaelic IV.  I find it just the right weight and I always look on it as the poor man's Morino.  Back in 1974 I owned an old battered Hohner De Lux three row.  I was playing in a pub in East London one night when I was approached by an old farmer from Essex who asked me if I wanted to buy an accordion he had but which was too heavy for him.   About six months later I decided to change my box but was dismayed at how prices had increased since I made my last purchase. I remembered the farmer and still had his address so I wrote to him.  He still had the box and I went to his farm to view.  Imagine my surprise when he took out a virtually brand new Gaelic IV.  He could knock out a tune on a single row box and for his 70th birthday his family decided to give him a treat and bought him a brand new three row.  Of course the poor man couldn't make head nor tail of it and he had actually screwed a thumb strap on it. The book price for that box in 1975 was £284 and in 1976 it had increased to £425.  I was prepared to offer him £150 for it so I nearly fainted when he said he wouldn't take a penny less than £60 for it.  Bargain of a lifetime....and that's the Gaelic I still play today ;D ;)