Author Topic: Borsini 80 bass – value?  (Read 993 times)

Anatole Isaev

Borsini 80 bass – value?
« on: December 27, 2017, 10:17:59 PM »
Hi everyone, long time no see! It seems the wee red Borsini ended up in deepest darkest Russia. The guy bought it as a portable continental chromatic and was greatly surprised with what he's got. I just checked it and what can I say: the air valve is rediculously small. The reeds are in perfect condition but of course need to be overhauled. Keys travel need to be reduced and the plate on the back of the fingerboard is bent slightly but at the first sight nothing is beyond repair. The bellows is fantastic especialy for it's age. So the main question is: I've been offered with it for roughly 500£. What would you say?
Kind Regards,
Anatoly
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 03:58:11 PM by Bill »

Anatole Isaev

Re: Borsini 80 bass – value?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 03:09:20 PM »
Hey guys, I need your advice please!
Thank you in advance,
Anatoly
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 03:59:10 PM by Bill »

Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 04:25:48 PM »
Hi Anatoly. I've given your request a separate topic.

It's difficult to give an opinion of its value without some more information. How many voices (sets of treble reeds) does it have? Are there any treble couplers, e.g. behind the keyboard? If it has 4 voices and some treble couplers, I think £500 is quite a good price. If it has 3 voices and no couplers, it is still better than a Hohner Trichord and £500 is still a good price.

Borsinis are generally very well made. Does any member have knowledge of this particular model?

mikek

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 05:00:43 PM »
 The price is good but  you mentioned the reeds would have to be overhauled. If you mean a complete re-tuning and the valves replaced, it  can end up rather expensive, unless you can do the work yourself.
I was always told to respect my elders but they're getting fewer in numbers.

Anatole Isaev

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 05:33:48 AM »
Thanks for your replies,
Well yes, there are leather valves that are not functional because of their age and have to be replaced. And of course the reeds have to be retuned after that.
I am familiar with modern Borsini's PAs and they are my favourits but I know nothing about the older ones especially BCC#. This model looks rather old and I greatly appreciate if somebody will give me more information about it.
Anatoly