Author Topic: Hello All  (Read 690 times)

CraigP

Hello All
« on: February 09, 2018, 05:32:21 PM »
Hello, as is usual on forums it’s only polite to introduce myself.
I’m Craig I live in Lincolnshire England and I recently inherited my Grandads Hohner Trichord lll
I’m not much of a musician as I’m a bit tone deaf and can’t sing to save my life but as a salute to my Granda I’m trying to learn a few tunes. I can’t read music either......
So all help will be gratefully received.

Bill

• Administrator
Re: Hello All
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 06:07:18 PM »
Hello Craig and welcome to the forum. In your forum registration you mention following some button guides – what are you using?

CraigP

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 06:15:40 PM »
The guides on the forum to start with as to layouts etc, then the tunes2play4fun guides
Like I said can’t read music so the numbers guide makes it easy to learn the tune then speed up to the right tempo...... only some of the notes sometimes don’t sound right so I’m not sure if I’m on the right row or push pull

Euanbrown

• longtime BCC# owner Jonelli (Mengascini)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 09:57:09 AM »
Congratulations Craig on taking up the Trichord III! We also have a Trichord that my son is learning on.   We are starting with leaving Lismore in G. Graeme Mackay has a good video which will help you get started (hope he does not mind if I post it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmzZbYeSFDU&list=RDPmzZbYeSFDU&t=61

You'll note that you hardly have to move your fingers  from the middle row.  Although reading music helps,  its a great instrument to play intuitively when you get started.

Best wishes
Euan

Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 04:52:52 PM »
I'm surprised there hasn’t been more response to this. I'd never heard of tunes2play4fun. Having looked at the chap's website http://www.tunes2play4fun.com/, I'm forced to think “what a complete waste of time!” It's one of those “push button 3, pull button 4” efforts, but this one is very complicated, aimed at specific accordion tuning (G/C, D/G etc), none of which is BCC#, and will only apply to tunes that the guy chooses to convert to his unique system.
Instead of spending time trying to understand this musical cul-de-sac, one could spend the same time, or less, learning standard music notation – it’s not difficult, it’s independent of instrument, and opens the door to countless tunes written by countless composers from all over the world.
On the instrument, learn which buttons produce the notes A,B,C,D,E,F,G etc, rather than row 1 button 4, row 2 button 5 etc.
A simple book which covers basic music notation and the outer two rows (B and C) of the Trichord is “The Box”, available in versions with and without CD from Hamcor:
https://www.hamcor.co.uk/01343-irish-button-accordion-music-book:-the-box-new-learn.html
Another book which covers basic music notation, and specifically the Hohner Trichord (in Part IV) is “The Hohner Melodeon and Button-Key Accordion Tutor for 1, 2 and 3 row Instruments in British Chromatic Tuning” by Capt. J. Reilly. Published by Hohner, this is long out of print. If anyone is looking for this book and is unable to source a secondhand copy, they could contact me and I might be able to help.

Derek Lockhart

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 07:44:05 PM »
Hi Craig, welcome to the forum. Like you I was new to music when I got my box 18 months ago but after studying the keyboard layouts on the forum and playing the scales of C & G then adding in D & A after a while and playing them through at the beginning of every session, I can now manage to play a few tunes. My son already plays piano accordion so I had access to all the music for the tunes that he learnt from for example London Bridge & Carnival of Venice, I'd suggest to try tunes that you already know and search the internet for the music. I hadn't read music since my days at primary school but with practice and reading the book published by Hohner that Bill has mentioned (I was lucky to find a copy of it on ebay along with quite a few Jimmy Shand music books) I can now read the music all be it slowly. I also found reading through most of the previous posts on this forum was a very educational experience.

I wish you all the best with learning to play.

Cheers

Derek
Derek

george garside

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 10:41:38 PM »
it may also be helpful to have a go at playing tunes 'by ear' which  is actualy playing tunes from memory.  Start of with simple  fairly slow tunes eg cock of the north  in G ( needs only 4 fingers on same 4 buttons all on the middle row) or 100 pipers in G  ( 5 adjacent  buttons all on middle row )

maybe some simply waltz tunes such as Daisy Daisy (daisy bell), endearing young charms. Both on middle row exept for F# on outside row.

or if these are not familiar any of your own choosing.

anad welcome to BCCsharp land!

george :D

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 08:26:42 AM by george garside »