Author Topic: Changing Buttons for Tactile Reference  (Read 924 times)

TW

Changing Buttons for Tactile Reference
« on: March 28, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »
I find I need to have a tactile reference on the treble buttons of my small Shand.

As has been suggested in previous threads I have tried using stick on bits, tippex etc all of which work up to a point but I am used to a button with a concavity as a marker and would like to fit something like this to the Shand.

I have not found a description of how the treble buttons are attached in the instrument or whether it is straightforward to replace/exchange them.

I should be grateful for any explanation that could be offered.

george garside

Re: Changing Buttons for Tactile Reference
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 08:28:24 PM »
Hi John. good to hear you are still plodding on with the 3 row box.  There really isn't a lot of sense in marking treble buttons  as each provides two notes unlike stradella where  C is C and now't else!

for the same reason trying to look at the 3 row keyboard whilst playing is not like looking at a piano or continental keyboard  for much the same reason.

Probably the easiest way to navigate is simply to practice scales  initially in just C and G.  If its identifying the start note for a scale  its simply C = push middle row 4th buttn and G push  middle row 6th button. 

practice those two scales until you can go  up and down without conscious thought i.e so that you are familier with the road upon which a tune must go back and forth.

Gaining familiarity  with what is where and in which direction is also much easier if plying by ear/memory than if trying to read the dots  and locate the notes at the same time. ( see my recent posting on here about playing in F#  which others have confirmed is a lot less off putting playing by ear than thinking in terns of 6#'s

Keep at it  by having several short practice session ,say 10/15 minutes  2 or 3 times a day rather than  one longer practice session.  Short practice sessions seems to give time  for things to be absorbed into autopilot whereas longer ones can result in a suspension of such activity

george ;)

TW

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 12:07:59 AM »
Thanks for the advice and encouragement George.

Yes I still oscillate with the BCC# - can't quite give it up!

As far as scales and repetition goes I'm afraid that you are talking to a fellow who played Winster Gallop in a barndance band for 40 years and who could never play without the score (or look at the dancers or talk to anyone). I even had a military band like music clip on the accordion when I played with the Morris!

I'm not proud of it, but it is what it is for me!

I find markers essential to let me orientate myself on a button keyboard - on the CBA I marked each C, G and D so that I was always confident where I was - and I never look at the keyboard, just at the score.

Reckon I'm a lost cause for you George!
Sorry!!!

DavidCorner

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 12:35:59 PM »
I have a black dot Double Ray (B/C)
The middle B of the B row is the black dot button, which has a grooved surface, and therefore easy to distinguish by touch.
I find it useful to confirm where I am on the keyboard, but with practise I can usually put my finger on the right button to get the starting note for a tune without looking, and without needing to find the black dot button.

george garside

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 01:38:18 PM »
I too have a double ray with the black button and a trichord with a black button on each row but I must admit that I never think of  where/which notes they are.

for a tune in D .depending on the size of keyboard  I just think of 3rd or 4th button Pull as being the start of the octave, for G  scale I sometimes , having put a finger on what I think is G ( without looking) and give a little pull  for a  bit of  A' The GA sound is quite distinctive and can aslo be used  to check you are in the right place for tha start of th A scale.

another little semi conscious check I to play  cde on the pull across the 3 rows   which I do almost without thinking to give a starting point for positioning the fingers wherever required for a particular tune.

These are just liittle habits  that have and still  use more or less withut thought to  provide little checks for relative button locations without looking at the keyboard

george

mikek

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 02:15:58 PM »
On my boxes,I usually put a little blob of clear glue on the middle B on the C row. If I have my pinkie on the marked button, then my 1st finger is going to be on the D,regardless of whether it is a 3rd or 4th button start.
I was always told to respect my elders but they're getting fewer in numbers.