Author Topic: Tunes background  (Read 554 times)

Anatole Isaev

Tunes background
« on: June 03, 2018, 09:17:23 AM »
Hi everyone! I’d like to introduce the background of the Scottish tunes to a local audience, not the tunes only. So if you don't mind I’d ask about it here from time to time. My first request is Agnes Waltz by William Hannah. Could you please tell me something about it?
Thanks!
Anatoly

iancruickshanks

Re: Tunes background
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 09:56:39 AM »
No idea of who it was named after but was composed by Will Hannah,  recorded by Shand and many other dance bands, the most interesting thing about the tune to me is that it was recorded rather surprisingly by Mantovani and his Orchestra.
Ian

Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 03:50:49 PM »
Hi Anatoly,
It looks like you’ve picked a difficult one to begin with. Although many of his tunes are well known and often played, including the Agnes Waltz, not much seems to have been written about him. I've attached a copy of the introduction to the book of his 6 waltz compositions, which includes a little information about him (but not on the background to the Agnes Waltz.

Also, here is a link to the Mantovani recording that Ian mentioned: https://archive.org/details/raretunes_287_agnes-waltz

Anatole Isaev

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 06:50:55 AM »
Wow, mysterious Agnes! :) Thanks!

iancruickshanks

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 08:40:15 AM »
If you play it backwards it's the Senga Waltz, 2 women's names in one tune.

Euanbrown

• longtime BCC# owner Jonelli (Mengascini)
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 01:34:21 PM »
Here is a link where you can compare the playing of Hannah with the reproduction recordings made by Luke Daniels et al
http://www.gael.org.uk/tributewillhannah.html
Its completely different to 'modern' Scots and Irish styles of playing the box.  In fact it is amazing how much Scottish box playing has changed when one also includes contemporaries of Hannah like the Wyper Brothers.  By the 1940s the more modern style has kicked in.