Author Topic: Free to a good home! The Button Box Forum  (Read 1134 times)

Bill

• Administrator
Free to a good home! The Button Box Forum
« on: September 14, 2018, 05:09:39 PM »
I am in the process of transferring or dropping some activities to lighten my load (and make time for other things). To that end I intend to give up running this Button Box Forum.

I am willing to transfer the domain buttonbox.org.uk and the associated web files to a new owner, should someone wish to carry the forum forward. A new owner would have to make their own arrangements for website hosting. Anyone interested should contact me by PM or email.

If a new owner is not forthcoming I will take the Button Box Forum off the air at the end of September.

Bill

george garside

Re: Free to a good home! The Button Box Forum
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 10:27:54 AM »
Bill, if all else fails and nobody is willing to take on the forum  could it be possible to negotiate with Theo to somehow incorporate it it as a ?subgroup on melnet.

george

Euanbrown

• longtime BCC# owner Jonelli (Mengascini)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 12:02:15 PM »
Its a pity Bill, its a great site and you've done a great job!  I wonder though if it would be more interactive if we simply setup a closed facebook page? We'd loose a lot of the legacy material though.

Euan

george garside

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 01:48:45 PM »
perhaps the legacy material could be held by melnet ?? or even by the accordionists forum  rather than lose it

george

roymagna

• Shand Morino Owner
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 03:40:32 PM »
I do hope you get someone to take it on. It has been an absolute pleasure using the forum and having met some members face to face.
Bill, Thank you for running the forum for us all. I know it must be very time consuming.
Every success in your next ventures.
Roy.
Roy

roymagna

• Shand Morino Owner
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 03:46:27 PM »
Euan,  I do not do Facebook. I am somewhat suspicious of it and the lengths people will go  to  be offensive on it!
Roy. 8)
Roy

Euanbrown

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 08:32:34 AM »
I get that Roy- FB is   a bit 'marmite'. Actually I was proposing what's known as a 'closed group'.  Only members can see what goes on inside it. They work quite well and once you are a member you can comment, post  pics, links and news items . They run themselves apart from the admin having to approve members and kick out rogue elements!  However this would not solve the problem of old forum material.  So yes I don't think FB  could replace the forum. Ideally we should do both,   retain the forum and use FB to bring in new members and promote the button box. I have no idea about how web hosting works as far as the forum is concerned.  Id happily help out if there is someone more experienced who could set it up.

iancruickshanks

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 05:35:54 PM »
Agreed,the forum evolved very nicely from Bill's idea and it would be a shame to lose it and the archive/legacy material within it. Fairenuff there have been a few periods in the doldrums and various periods of revival, I feel as I'm sure many of you do that we could have contributed more input at times, even just by throwing a topic in for discussion now and again and hope it doesn't get too heated😂or putting links to players or tunes from youtube etc.  I'd certainly be able to help in some way hopefully. Ian

Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 06:44:38 PM »
I wonder though if it would be more interactive if we simply setup a closed facebook page? We'd loose a lot of the legacy material though.

Euan, a closed group on Facebook is a great idea. I hope that you or someone else will go ahead and set one up. I'd certainly want to join. It would likely be not too large. Although this forum has 160+ registered members, the great majority of that number is inactive. In the last month or so only about three dozen members have actually logged in. A Facebook group would be a good way for active members to keep in touch.

As for “legacy” material – the best solution would be for someone to take over the baton and keep the forum going. Failing that, it might be possible to lodge some material, like articles, and possibly the photo gallery, on some free online storage (like Google Drive) and provide links to access them. Forum posts and ensuing discussions would be lost.

Fishfeathersmacteeth

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 04:21:17 PM »
Thank you Bill for all your work over the years. 

I would second the Facebook solution.
...all the way from Luthermuir..

Poldubh

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 12:36:41 PM »
Thanks for all your work Bill. Like many others I have got a lot from the forum. But I’m sure it takes a lot of time and effort. So good fortune in you new ventures.
Would be happy to be part of a closed Facebook group. That would allow the contributing members to keep in touch.

roymagna

• Shand Morino Owner
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 06:25:14 PM »
  Bill  A little bird has told me Daniel Mcphee has started up a  closed site on Facebook for 3 Row Players.
I am not on Facebook so cannot confirm this.
Roy.
Roy

Euanbrown

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 07:00:31 PM »
Ive started a closed group on FB. You  can find it here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2239652179598292/?ref=bookmarks 

if can click the link and ask to join I can enrol you.  Id propose that  as its a small group, we make the first ten or so members admin this will allow you to edit pics and links.

Its a bit sad at the moment as I don't have any pics etc.  Bill would it be OK for me to upload a couple of nice photos of boxes from the archive. A nice Shand Morino for example?  (its closed so after you join you will be welcome to change it as you like.

Euan

Euanbrown

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 07:02:23 PM »
PS of course I will draft a set of good conduct rules shortly!

Euan

Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 07:24:33 PM »
Well done, Euan, thanks. Please use any photos you like from the forum.