Author Topic: Paolo Soprani 96 bass  (Read 273 times)

Bill

• Administrator
Paolo Soprani 96 bass
« on: November 06, 2018, 03:32:51 PM »
I bought this from George Lambie at Accordion.co.uk today. This 96 bass Paolo Soprani is in excellent shape inside and out, and sounds quite good as well. I knew Paolo Soprani made a 96 bass BCC# – a friend in Kent has one, and Billy McGuire played one. I had assumed it had 37 treble keys, like the 80 bass, but I discover that it has 40 (not that I'm likely to use the extra keys, whichever end of the keyboard they’re at).
Does anyone know when Paolo Soprani made these 96 bass models? 1980s? Or which company was making Paolo Soprani models then? Dino Baffetti?

roymagna

• Shand Morino Owner
Re: Paolo Soprani 96 bass
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 10:58:38 AM »
Hello Bill,   I think it was made in the first part of the 1970's.  I have just found a Clinkscale catalogue  ( with price list dated July 1975),  with Jimmy Shand on the front cover pictured playing a 2 row  and on the back cover it shows him playing a red 3 row 37 key box. i have a feeling Jimmy then asked them to make a 40 key box, but, who knows how many!
Good luck with your new box and enjoy playing it you never know when you will use all the buttons  ;) ;D ::) 8)
Roy.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:33:26 AM by roymagna »
Roy

Bill

• Administrator
Re: Paolo Soprani 96 bass
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 09:30:59 PM »
Thanks Roy. I think I've seen those photos. If the 3 row 37 key has a big “V” on the grille and “Paolo Soprani” in block capitals it’s the same model as my blue-badge 80 bass and dates from about the mid-1960s. Later models have a different grille, black badge and “Paolo Soprani” in script. That’s what this “new” one of mine has, so 1970s seems quite possible. And still made by the Paolo Soprani factory, before the brand was absorbed by company mergers in the late 1980s.