Author Topic: Zerosette "Wilkinson Special" - unusual box  (Read 6988 times)

Graham

Re: Zerosette "Wilkinson Special" - unusual box
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 08:49:34 PM »
not sure whether it's a step too far but there's always local Orange Lodge ...

There's another possibility and that's to check with the Police in Armagh, they may well be aware of local bands  ...for various reasons.

The Wilkinson shops in Antrim are worth a check, best leave no stone un-turned ;)

Luv to have a play sometime Matt but unlikely be near anytime ...currently in France ...again ;)
Graham

Littlejohn

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2019, 07:59:11 PM »
There was an accordion dealer called Hugh Wilkinson who ran an accordion shop in Main Street, Cullybackey, County Antrim, Northern Ireland.  Shop is now closed down but I knew Hugh quite well and his association with Killycoogan Accordion Band.  He offered me a very similar instrument approx 12yrs ago which came from the band.  Dunloy Accordion band bought it I believe.  Lovely instrument in black.  Possibly ordered specially by Hugh Wilkinson, hence the name on it.

Matt Butcher

• Beginner (La Vera 48 bass)
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2019, 05:53:42 PM »
John very kindly send me a PM with more information, I really appreciate it.  Looks to me like the mystery is solved!  Made for Hugh Wilkinson and played first in the Killycoogan Accordion Band (I hear them doing the concert version of the accordion band at Scarborough quite a few years back and they were great) and then in the Dunloy accordion band.  I’m really pleased to know what I’ve got and learn the history.  Not sure how it got to North Armagh but could be any number of reasons.  Much appreciated John; I enjoyed your videos btw.  Nice box though it needs some work.  Thank you.

Littlejohn

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 12:14:06 PM »
One final little bit of information is that Hugh Wilkinson, a good accordionist, developed bad arthritis in his hands.  Also having played in marching bands on and off I can confirm that they rarely use the bass section and frequently remove the bass reeds to lighten the weight of the accordion for marching in long parades over here in N Ireland.  Hugh having a well established accordion shop in Cullybackey, supplied many bands with their instruments.  I am aware that he had two Zero Zettee boxes made specially for Killycoogan Accordion band who were a good contest band from 1970’s until the 1990’s.  They are still on the road but like a lot of accordion bands they are not quite as strong as they were.  Hugh’s arthritis I suspect prevented him playing the bass section so he had one specially made without the bass buttons as the band didn’t use them.  The name ‘Wilkinson Special’ is on the box to advertise his association with this particular accordion.     

Matt Butcher

• Beginner (La Vera 48 bass)
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 08:14:33 PM »
Thank you John.

In case anyone’s interested, here’s a clip to show what it sounds like.  Quite a rich punchy sound but no wife musette on this box.

https://youtu.be/YriNgGd52hQ