Author Topic: Beginner's fingering question  (Read 7335 times)

Matt Butcher

• Beginner (La Vera 48 bass)
Beginner's fingering question
« on: August 15, 2015, 07:19:06 PM »
I haven't been able to have a go at any box for a while but once the opportunity has come up I picked up the British Chromatic, I think I was influenced by the Daniel McPhee interview.

Anyway I was practicing this sequence of notes and I wondered whether anyone could suggest what fingers they would use, I'm doing OK but I've got a feeling there might be something easier.

AGF#A dcAG F#DDC

Thank you!

Daniel McPhee

Re: Beginner's fingering question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 08:16:46 PM »
Practice your scales firstly , I tend not to spread my fingers with the bellows movementsust play comfortably in the area your in. 
Think of it as a melodion with the third row there to help you with the bellows movements

Matt Butcher

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 08:36:23 PM »
Thanks very much for taking the time, and the advice about not tending to spread the fingers is exactly what I needed.  Thank you.

Matt Butcher

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 06:40:03 AM »
And the video of yourself and Brandon that you posted today shows exactly what you mean in practice, perfect.

george garside

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 08:39:35 PM »
definitely   scales  and no hard and fast rules for fingering    . A bit of experimentation will usualy reveal the simplest way of fingering a particular bit of a particular tune which may be different from the fingering used to play a particular bit of a different tune  or something like that!

george

Matt Butcher

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 09:36:49 PM »
I'm sure that's sound advice George; at the same time I would say that that recent video of Daniel and Brandon McPhee gives me a very clear view of how they find their way around the keyboard and for a general idea* rather than hard and fast rules, I thought it was a great teaching aid.  Lovely music and extremely tight duet playing too, it's a treat to get all this top quality music for free.

I should go back to the Ian Cruickshanks videos too where we get a close up.

* Part of the "general idea" for me was, it's not a continental chromatic, don't try to play it like one...

george garside

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:12:58 AM »
Matt, the BCC# has  an advantage over the continental in that a bit of quick 'in an outing' can save some awkward fingering! Others may of course argue that a continental eliminates the need for 'in an outing'
george ;)

TW

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 05:31:14 PM »
This seems to follow on to this thread....

In principle should I press and release each treble button for each note?

In this bar from Durisdeer for example should I press the note button and release each time or is it acceptable to hold the 'C/B and the A/G and change direction?

It is easier but is it a lazy habit to be avoided or just inconsequential.

roymagna

• Shand Morino Owner
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 08:06:30 PM »
Press and release for each note it makes for a much cleaner crisper sound and can help the fingering of difficult tunes. That is what I was taught, however, it can sometimes be advantageous just to push / pull
to get a required effect  :) ;D ::)
Roy.
Roy

TW

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 11:53:08 PM »
Thank you Roy.
Your confirmation that separate presses are good for articulation and not just a beginners' wasted effort is very reassuring!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal