Author Topic: Beginning....  (Read 7627 times)

TW

Beginning....
« on: June 13, 2016, 12:03:01 AM »
I was a PA player and then moved to a digital CBA.

I have now arrived, via the English Concertina, at a very nice Gaelic IVS with the Scottish Musette sound exactly as I wish.

It is a lovely instrument, comfortable and not too heavy but, unfortunately, the IVS and I have not yet reached agreement about our interaction - its the traditional Eric Morecambe problem.

The middle two octaves of the 'C' row are fine, the outer reaches remain mysterious and dark.
I hope time and practice will tell....

Graham

Re: Beginning....
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 12:11:15 AM »
Welcome J ....Small world  ;)

Graham

TW

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 10:16:30 AM »
Isn't it just...how is Appalachia strumming/hammering..and all the rest!?

Does persistence pay?..watch this space....

Graham

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 10:29:32 AM »
as the mood takes, currently PA, CBA & NSP(DG special) ... really must get the Elite 3 out for an outing and sell the Trichord 3... probably when I get back from France in July.

According to Percy Vere, with a little guidance from the great and the good on this site, persistence does pay, 

(You there George?) ;D

Graham

george garside

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 03:06:16 PM »
welcome to the forum TW and to the mysteries of the 'diabolical contraption' as its detractors would say!

Learn and practice scales ( see scale charts and beginers notes on this forum)  You already seem to have got the hang of C.  Next have a go at G using only the outside 2 rows - when and not before you are competent in G have a go  at D. but don't try to learn all the scales until you have got the hang of CGD using only outside 2 rows.

The bass are of course the same as a piano or incontinental box!

John Kirkpatricks british button box weekend in September might be worth your while if only to mix with other BCCsharpists. ( am not sure how basic John goes but perhaps somebody on here who has been can comment.  I hope to be there myself this year all being well.

george

TW

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 10:56:09 PM »
Glad the piping is still a possibility for you Graham - mine are working..but neglected.

Two days into the Gaelic IV and thank you for the advice George - you were very helpful in a previous foray into the possibility of melodeons - which resulted in an Anglo concertina for a while but reverted to the English.

The BCC# has always fascinated me - I still have the brochure from the 60/70's where the unaffordable Gaelic IVS lived! - however, coming now from a CBA (or an incontinent box as you affectionately label it!), I use the whole hand unsecured, without the thumb rest on the keyboard edge.

The thumb rest seems mandatory for players so there must be a reason?

george garside

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 11:20:44 PM »
keeping the thumb in the groove or on the edge of the keyboard  facilitates the location of the 4 operative fingers  which in a sense is important as their are no navigational aids (black notes) as on a piano or continental box, which is also why there is little point in having a quick gander at the keyboard whilst playing.

However as I now have a dollop of osteo arthritis in  my hands I have taken to waving the thumb in the air whilst playing in the flat keys on the 2 inside rows.  It may be that it only works because I have spent many years playing with the thunb in the groove so to speak??

There are , I believe , one or two 3 row players who actualy use the thumb to play notes but whether or not this is an advantage I don't know  as the majority don't use the thumb and the greats such as Shand anad Starr  stuck firmly to the groove.

george

Uncle Henry

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 04:10:08 PM »
The continuous change of bellows direction is the reason why the thumb is used to steady the diatonic button box.  Certainly a must if you are only using one strap as most of the Irish Two Row players do.  I don't think I could play if I didn't have a thumb.  Consequently  while watching the Manfrini B/C/C# Demo on UTube i was fascinated to watch the player who seems to be using his  thumb as a fifth finger.  Clever to say the least.          https://youtu.be/raZz2OWhq9g  8)

TW

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 10:30:10 PM »
I have watched that clip several times but never noticed that the artist is using  all five digits - perhaps it just seemed natural to me after using all five on the CBA.

However when you factor in the bellows action in a melodeon, as you mention, the stability provided by a thumb rest makes a great deal of sense - its almost universal adoption reinforces that too.

george garside

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 09:18:57 AM »
The lack of stability on 2 row 'melodeons'  is usualy the result of  playing with one  fairly loose strap as the keyboard has to be effectively pushed against the stap to tension it.  It is also caused particularly on 4th apart eg DG, Cf etc boxes by over vigerous pulling and tugging at the bellows ( same goes for the way aome play the BC but most don't have the same problem as they don't need to shove a lot of air around as they don't use the bass much if at all.

I use two wide padded straps even on the 2 row DG box and do occasionaly use my thumb to 'play in octaves'

on the bigger 3 rows I have started to wave my thumb about particulary when playing in the flat keys as due to arthritis it hurts like hell if I keep it in the groove. So doing has had no detrimental effect on playing.

On the big 3 row boxes  ( and even the little trichord)  the thumb doesn't contribute much to stabilising the box as most players use 2 good wide padded straps ( and some a backstrap as well) which together with the weight of the box does the job fine.

maybe the guy in the video has arthritis!

george

TW

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 12:26:31 PM »
I am finding the BCC# a tease (and I thought the CBA was not terribly logical for a former PA player) but I do like the sound this Gaelic IV makes so it is well worthwhile persisting.

As a beginner however I found the available keyboard layout charts not complete enough for me so I have modified one - I was unsure about the scale notes that the buttons produce.
I have labelled an existing 37 treble key Gaelic layout and I attach the image because I should be very grateful for any corrections from members - some notes seem a long way outside the staff - and I am prone to error....

Fishfeathersmacteeth

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 09:46:21 AM »
.....very helpful...!!!
...all the way from Luthermuir..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal