Author Topic: Button Marking  (Read 6157 times)

TW

Button Marking
« on: June 22, 2016, 11:39:48 PM »
I have for years marked the treble buttons on my CBA with depressions and hash marks to aid location - but the buttons were plastic and easy to exchange.

I would like to mark some of the treble buttons on my Gaelic IV, but in a reversible, non-destructive, way.

I should be grateful, if any one does mark their buttons, for ideas on a method.

Bill

• Administrator
Re: Button Marking
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 11:56:24 PM »
I mark the G4 button in the middle row with a black spot (magic marker) on the upper edge, so that a quick glance down shows its location. I don't have any other, or any tactile, marks. I believe this upper edge marking is quite common on some all-white CBA keyboards.

TW

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 06:29:33 PM »
That is a very discrete way, and one that I can try.
Thank you...I just hope I don't get tempted into extrapolation of the idea resulting in an explosion of Smarties though...

george garside

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 12:00:16 PM »
I don't recommend marking buttons as navigational aids as  so doing could result in the ,fairly futile , habit of having a gander at the keyboard. On continental and piano boxes the black notes  act as navigational aids with the result that many players   peer down at the keyboard quite a lot.

My method of locating G, A and D is simple  the tune winster gallop starts with the notes G   & B  (push G aand pull B on C row) No other combination of 2 buttons will produce the required sound  . So I play G & B  and if I hit the wrong buttons move a little up or down until it sounds right - you then have a location for GAB-  locating it soon becomes intuitive but the sound can be used as a check before starting a tune.

Similarly there is only one place where CDE can be played  diagonally across 3 rows   and no other diagonal row will sound the same,

playing CDE(ON PULL)  gives you the location of obviously CDE  from where you can easily locate other notes and that also becomes intuitive  particularly if scales are practiced regularly.

I have a feeling that Jimmy Shand might have occasionaly carried out such a check on his fingers before starting a tune as on some of his  early 78 records that were recorded warts and all without remastering you could sometimes hear a very quite 2 or 3  note 'twiddle just before he played the tune.

Having said all that the key to knowing where you are is to  play/practice scales regularly  including use of alternatives so that absolutely no conscious thought is required to locate notes i.e.  think the tune ( or read it if you must) and the right message goes down the arm to the fingers so to speak.

george

TW

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 11:30:26 AM »
As I have said, I like Bill's suggestion of the discrete black dot marking in principle, but I don't look at the keyboard.

George's method requires more skill to use than I have available - though it is very neat.

I think I have therefore to revert to tactile marking.

My next enquiry is about how Gaelic IV treble buttons are attached - because I don't want to mark buttons in situ.

Roland buttons just unscrew, a Cooperativa Jolly had buttons on the end of small screws.
Looking on CGM Musical Services site showed the Cooperativa type of button I tried to describe as Ref 102B.

Is this the type of fitting I could expect or is it more difficult?

I am uncertain about the material used to make the button (either the original or the ones from CGM Musical) - I assume its some sort of acrylic and therefore easily 'hashed'.

I should be very grateful for any information that may be available.

later......
I must apologize to members for this rather unnecessary post as I find, belatedly, that the topic has been explored exhaustively on MelNet with many useful suggestions--favourite being practice!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 12:37:37 AM by TW »

mikek

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 01:42:12 PM »
When I had my Trichord I got rather dependent on feeling for the serrated B/C button. Bought a Gaelic 1VS and struggled to find my way on the keyboard until I put a little clear adhesive on the  required button. Just as the adhesive was about dry, I rubbed it with my finger to slightly roughened the surface. This glue can be removed anytime I wish.

DaveW

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 05:41:15 PM »
That is a very discrete way, and one that I can try.
Thank you...I just hope I don't get tempted into extrapolation of the idea resulting in an explosion of Smarties though...
Tactile marks - I have marked my Paolo with a mixture of clear nail varnish and coarse grain sugar - don't be too lavish with the nail varnish, clear is best Pretty Pink looks a bit garish!. It does wear off or can be gently remove with a tool, leaving no marks. I marked the tonic notes on each row. The most referred to positions are the 'C's and outer row 'B's.
DaveW
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 05:50:12 PM by DaveW »
best wishes DaveW

TW

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 01:22:19 AM »
I've tried many of the suggested reversible methods for marking buttons (as I'm so used to finding depressions or hash marks on keys that are important to me in other accordions) but found them imperfect.

I don't look at the keyboard so I would like to mark my Morino but rather than grinding marks on the buttons in situ I'd like to take them off first and substitute new buttons.

But I don't know how they are attached in this accordion so any pointer to the method would be most useful in deciding whether to attempt this myself.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal