Author Topic: left arm and airbars  (Read 3276 times)

TW

left arm and airbars
« on: July 17, 2017, 06:33:01 PM »
This simple tune is my practice piece. The treble alone is no problem.

Combination is where my difficulties begin - I start with the bellows open because the first six bars have 'push' notes.

When I reach for the bass 'D' in bar 2 I run into trouble because this movement always opens the very sensitive air lever by a tiny, inadvertent, pressure from the base of my thumb.
The bellows then collapse and practise stops.

The image tries to show this position.

I know that the immediately previous owner had absolutely no difficulty so it must be my method (or anatomy).
The lengthy thread, covering air bars, was interesting but it hasn't helped unfortunately.
Could it be simply that my left arm is not in a decent position in the strap?

george garside

Re: left arm and airbars
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 08:57:55 PM »
perhaps putting your arm further through the bass strap so the fingers form an arch with just the fingers tips touching the buttons may help.  Also the thumb should point vertically  and rest very lightly against the air bar so it is always in a state of readiness to make adjustments to the bellows as required rather than there being a slight lag while the thumb is moved into position.

The above is only based on your photo which I realise may not represent your normal playing stance so to speak.

george ;)

TW

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 11:04:30 PM »
I'm afraid that is true positioning George!

When I look at videos I do see that players hands are in much more of a curve than mine but although I do start out in that position I slip back to the one I show because I find the correct position quite strange - not at all what I have played in for years.

So, a clarion call, George, for an old dog to try some new tricks.
Thanks for the wake-up...I'll give it a go and see if things get better...shame I can't get to Shropshire....

JNM SY

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 05:48:36 PM »
The bellows then collapse and practise stops"
     If the bellows collapse with tiny pressure on the air bar, maybe narrowing the air hole would help a bit.
  I can,t play a " crash" box at all and usually adjust the air flow such that I can continue playing with the air button open when needed.
 Lowering the air bar by a few mm would help as well.(or even shave a couple of mm off it.)
I hope you find a solution because controlling the air is essential to comfortable playing and even a small change can make a huge difference.
                          John
                                     Scotland

TW

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 11:47:17 PM »
Thank you John, and see the following!
Unfortunately, not being Scottish, I'm not a natural accordion engineer....!
Roy has already taken me expertly and explicitly through the method of opening of my Shand, accessing the airhole, with the same object - masking off part of the hole - as you suggest.
However, although access to the pallet covering the hole was possible, neatly to cover the hole with a smaller aperture was going to be much more difficult without further dismantling.
The image shows the difficulty.
I didn't want to try to remove reed banks, given the limited space available and my inexperience and damage-proneness so I thought I might make a brass shim, with a smaller diameter hole, that - even with limited access  - might be slid under the pallet.
This idea is in limbo at present because, having loosened the bass strap for removal, on reassembly I found that it was much more adjustable than I first thought.
Now I can get my wrist further through to allow a better arch over the bar - as seen in the YouTube videos of experienced players - and I am having remote guidance from forum members on the correctness of the wrist position and arch.
Thank you, to all who are taking the time and trouble to help this beginner...

shandy

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 02:46:47 PM »
Changing the air hole should be done by a qualified person.   A one to one session is what you require.   Re the practice tune you refer, you should note that all the notes can be played by either pressing in or out of the bellows except the note D.   You will have to change your fingering style.  It is not easy.   
Shandy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal