Author Topic: Shand Morino for sale on Gumtree  (Read 690 times)

Daniel McPhee

Shand Morino for sale on Gumtree
« on: March 19, 2019, 02:35:20 PM »
I see a lovely Shand Morino for sale in Shropshire.
This model looks really good, a rare find these days..
Well looked after I think. Limex Midi installed.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/accordians/button-accordion-/1333471060

Daniel McPhee

Re: Shand Morino for sale on Gumtree
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 06:43:53 AM »
A few of you will know after consideration I decided to buy the above instrument. It’s been five years since I owned a Morino , and although I've owned very nice accordions in between, I perhaps have lost sight of what a unique instrument they really are.
The model I have purchased is an early 1955 one and very nice too.
It was previously owned by a lad in the Borders, Edwin Potts. He owned it from 1955-2015 until he sadly passed away.
Cody Roberts bought it then but only had it a couple of years, during which he did a lot to the box including refurbishment, limex midi and new case.
No 30 I believe is the number of the accordion.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 06:45:58 AM by Daniel McPhee »

Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 06:03:09 PM »
It’s sounding really good, Daniel.

It's worth searching YouTube for Daniel's videos on his classic Shand Morino. Here are a couple of examples: The Household Brigade and The 6.20 Two Step

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 08:43:50 AM »
Thank you Bill,
Your never sure if your doing the right thing in buying an older instrument, but I have to admit I’m pleasantly surprised at how easy the box is to play.

I recently had the offer of buying my former Shand Morino back ( 40 key / no bass couplers ) it was for sale in Glenrothes,  but decided to wait until an early Shand Morino came up.

Here is  a photograph of Edward Potts when he bought the accordion from J.T. Forbes in 1956. I believe he was a very good player who competed against Robert Whitehead in Perth championships in the early sixties.
Then a recent photograph I took when I first took the accordion home on the 6th May.
Interesting history.
I’m sure it is a 1955 model, and it’s not too heavy to play funnily enough. :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 08:55:04 AM by Daniel McPhee »