Author Topic: Interesting Shand Morino  (Read 350 times)

John Macrae

Interesting Shand Morino
« on: September 23, 2019, 04:55:12 PM »
Hello All,

You may recall that, some time ago, there was discussion about the late model Shand Morino with 46 treble buttons, 120 bass and the treble couplers and mechanism mounted on the grille rather than on the treble keyboard. This model did not have any diamanté decoration nor the internal bellows lock and bellows pins were used rather than the earlier clamping mechanism. One element of the discussion was that this particular model, which was very different to the earlier ones, including it's sound, was that they were manufactured by Excelsior for Hohner, under license, from the very late 1960s into the early 70s after which production ceased. The latest of these instruments had Gola style couplers. This change of manufacturer, relating to the late model, was confirmed to me by John Crawford of Freuchie.

I have just come across a late model Shand Morino which is currently advertised for sale on the website www.for-sale.co.uk This instrument has a very unusual feature for this model but which is clear evidence of the Excelsior connection. These models were normally produced without any diamanté decoration but, most unusually, this particular Shand Morino has diamanté decoration. The intriguing thing about it, however, is that the decoration is identical to that of the early Shand Excelsior - particularly on the treble keyboard. There is a greater spacing between the diamantés than on the Hohner produced models and there is a fine white line painted between the brilliants - exactly as on the Shand Excelsior. Furthermore, the last brilliant on each line is much larger than the others, again, the same as on the Excelsior. I contacted John Crawford today and he recalled that, when Bells of Surbiton were the agents for Hohner accordions, there was a customer who ordered a Shand Morino at the time these late models were being marketed, and requested that it be decorated with diamantés. The likelihood is that it is this instrument.

The most interesting thing of all, however, is that the style of decoration is, without doubt, proof that these late Shand Morino were indeed manufactured by Excelsior although marketed by Hohner as Hohner Shand Morino models.

Best wishes,

John

MikeK

Re: Interesting Shand Morino
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 07:08:31 PM »
This accordion is advertised on ebay.

Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 07:10:45 PM »
This accordion is also advertised on eBay UK (at a rather optimistic £3500 ono). The attached photos show the diamonte decoration that John mentions. As an ex-owner of one of these of similar vintage, I was interested to see that this one has a short air bar (pictured). The air bar on mine was 50% longer. If the condition of the case is anything to go by, this one has been looked after carefully.

george garside

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 12:07:35 AM »
This accordion is also advertised on eBay UK (at a rather optimistic £3500 ono). The attached photos show the diamonte decoration that John mentions. As an ex-owner of one of these of similar vintage, I was interested to see that this one has a short air bar (pictured). The air bar on mine was 50% longer. If the condition of the case is anything to go by, this one has been looked after carefully.

? made either for someone with a very long thumb or who only played in the sharp keys?

george