Author Topic: Shand Morino Coupler Repair Stress 😏  (Read 199 times)

Daniel McPhee

Shand Morino Coupler Repair Stress 😏
« on: October 23, 2019, 07:03:38 PM »
Hi everyone

Nice to be back on the forum for a while.

Bill was asking me tonight did I still play the Fantini , yes I do and in fact it’s pretty much my main box for playing, another favourite accordion being the Manfrini Artisan which I regretfully sold 😳

On the 6th of April this year I purchased a 1955 Shand Morino ( which I probably mentioned earlier ) as I fancied owning one again.
The box was in fair condo for it’s age ( reeds were all clean , reed blocks, refurbished etc ) but I had a lot of problems with the coupler mechanisms.

There was a brass piece which was part of the coupler mechanism innards, it had been repaired several times ( which I did not know about when I bought the instrument ) and it stopped the couplers from working. I had it at several repair men, the second repair man took the time and effort to get them working again properly, and I owe him a debt of gratitude.
The first time I was initially told it may be irerepairable which sank my heart but I soon came to realise pretty much anything mechanical can be repaired or replaced in the right Hands.

https://youtu.be/C5LSinkZKWc

https://youtu.be/Ut93qleUULM

https://youtu.be/DIGZK1fpN0k

The box is working now and sounds and plays wonderful and although I had a few issues I’m really glad I bought the accordion.
I guess because of the age and vintage of these instruments I should have realised a few quid and some TLC is often required.
I’ve actually sent of to Hohner and obtained the dispatch certificate of these Shand Morino’s which are dated May 55 & Nov 59

About two months later I was offered the chance of my own original forty key Morino ( which I had owned for nearly thirty years , traded it in for a new box in 2013 ) from Glenrothes, so after much pleading with the wife I was able to purchase it back.
Although I have to say whilst my favourite box is the Sharino for playing, the Morino’s are a treat to take out for a tune, or record YouTube clips with.

Daniel

Note below the brass holder which had to be welded, and pics of the box stripped down.
If this happens in future I will have a new piece made to replace it.
Hopefully it will be alright..
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 09:33:28 PM by Daniel McPhee »

Bill

• Administrator
Re: Shand Morino Coupler Repair Stress 😏
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 08:52:12 AM »
That’s an interesting glimpse into the complicated innards of the Shand Morino.
All the boxes sound good in the YouTube videos. I particularly like “The Thomson Boys”, possibly my favourite Freeland Barbour tune.

Daniel McPhee

Re: Shand Morino Coupler Repair Stress 😏
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 09:11:50 AM »
Thanks Bill, Freeland writes some great tunes & plays a bit on his Shand  Morino's as well...