Author Topic: Looking to buy a Hohner Shand Morino BCC# Button Accordion  (Read 2245 times)

gm0lze

Looking to buy a Hohner Shand Morino BCC# Button Accordion
« on: February 01, 2020, 12:35:16 PM »
I am looking for a Hohner Shand Morino BCC# Button Accordion
https://thereedlounge.com/collections/accordions/products/hohner-shand-morino-bcc-button-accordion
I wonder if this one is a good box.Thanks for any information.
Dolan Morrison

Andy

Re: Looking to buy a Hohner Shand Morino BCC# Button Accordion
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 05:01:43 PM »
Sorry can't really say more about this particular one than what can be seen in the photos. As you are probably aware the 46/120 bass is generally considered inferior to any of the variations of 40/105 or 46/117. I have never played a 46/120 but understand how their design and construction is considered less special than older models. It is hard to see the design of the 46/120 as being motivated by anything other than cost saving, there are even those who wouldn't rate it as a 'real' Shand. Trying to keep an open mind, it would be interesting to see an 'In defence of the 46/120 Shand' particularly from anyone with experience of playing one.

Andy

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 08:32:07 AM »
I’ve played one or two of them and found them nice boxes but they are a touch heavy.
About the real Shand, I’m pretty certain these models were produced under excelsior ( I think we all know that now ) Hohner has done this type of sub contraction for years with their piano accordion Morino’s, however it does not take away from them being fine accordions in their own right.
This one looks in fine condition.
If Jimmy Blue played one for over twenty years and made several fine albums, then they are good enough for anyone.
Cheers
Daniel
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 09:20:59 AM by Daniel McPhee »

Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 05:24:20 PM »
This is a late Hohner Shand Morino model, c. 1973. I owned one for 8 years as my main box. They are good quality, well made instruments of conventional design and construction (like millions of other accordions). They are not overly heavy, comparable to other accordions of a similar size. Mine weighed 11.1kg including straps and built-in microphone system. (I once had a 43-key 120 bass Borsini which weighed 12.5kg). I did let the Hohner go as, in a period of reduced fitness, I found it rather heavy to carry. A 46-120 Guerrini went for the same reason.
I suggest anyone considering this, or a similar spec accordion, ask themselves 3 questions:

1. Sound. Do you like the sound? This should perhaps be the main consideration. (I bought the 1973 Hohner Shand Morino because I preferred the sound to one of the 1950s “classic” Shand Morinos).

2. Buttons. Do you need all of those buttons? The 46 key treble range covers 4 complete C octaves (C3 - C7), 49 notes, plus a few more notes at either end of the keyboard – well over 50 notes. Who needs that? A standard “big” PA has 41 treble notes, and hardly anyone is buying instruments that size nowadays (classical/conservatoire players excepted). 36 and even 34 notes are now more common. My 37-key Paolo Soprani has keys at both ends of the keyboard that are never used. Same with the bass - a 72 bass has the same bass and chords as a 120 bass, just no repeated rows. 96 bass seems now a de facto standard, and 80 bass is fine if you can do without diminished chords.

3. Couplers. Are you happy with only 5 couplers on a 4 voice treble instrument? (Most 4 voice PAs have 11 couplers). I modified my Hohner to have 7 coupler settings, including “Accordion” (LMM). The 37-key Paolo Soprani has 9 couplers, though 2 are repeats.

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 06:08:55 AM »
I think it comes down to the individual at the end of the day.
I’ve had dozens of accordions over the years, all good in their own right.
For instance my wife tells me she prefers the look and tone of my Sharino to my Shand Morino’s.

The Manfrini’s i had were excellent accordions also, and I found 37/80 and five couplers to be ample.
Really not sure why I even bought Morino’s again, was it the preferred accordion of the general public?
For instance I put a picture of a 1955 Morino and a picture of a 1975 Morino on my Facebook page, right away there comments on which model was the real deal,
Obviously the later models were subject to cost cutting ideas but still great accordions.
These type things can put people off.

I think a potential needs to consider what type of music they play and which type box would suit it.
Also I would recommend getting an accordion thoroughly tested before purchasing.
Just my thoughts..
Daniel
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:37:23 AM by Daniel McPhee »

Andy

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 08:09:50 PM »
A bit more expensive but another nice looking example of the same here.

https://steveclinkscalemusic.co.uk/home/1320-shand-hohner-shand-moreno-accordion.html

If it were not for the size of them I could be tempted. 

Andy

gm0lze

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 01:21:56 PM »
Thank you very much for all the replies.
Looks like its a 1960 model is the preferred choice.Any comments on this one which is for sale just now on Gumtree.Thank You
https://www.gumtree.com/p/accordians/-hohner-shand-morino-40-note-model-b-c-c-/1365978281

Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 01:55:16 PM »
Looks good. One of the less-common 40 key models without bass couplers. The price is about top whack for one nowadays, but then it’s being sold by a very reputable dealer.

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 04:31:24 PM »
These forty keys without the bass couplers are fine boxes.
I have tried the 1962 versions with bass couplers and found the model without couplers to have better compression.
The box advertised looks in overall good condition although on inspection I see some perloid repair in the bass plate around the air bar, but most boxes of this era have some form of repair or modifications.
A good buy for a Morino enthusiast.

Here’s a sound of that particular model

https://youtu.be/_k41YlZ1gnI

Daniel
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 06:11:21 PM by Daniel McPhee »

gm0lze

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 08:23:57 AM »
I am keen on this one from a private buyer really clean and sounds excellent.
What value would this be?
Thanks for any reply's.

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 09:08:30 AM »
Be more the top end of the spectrum £3500 is the going rate for small morino’s in good condition.
I think that one has bass midi too

MikeK

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 11:38:30 AM »
 Quote [I am keen on this one from a private buyer really clean and sounds excellent.
What value would this be?
Thanks for any reply's.]Quote

It this depends on how much you want it and prepared to pay for it. I now own a box that I really, really wanted and paid a bit over the odds
for it. It may sound daft to some people but every time I pick it up to play a tune I feel very happy and proud to own it.

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 03:05:22 PM »
You know I bought a 1955 Shand last April, I paid Cody Roberts the full asking price of £4150.
The advert is still viewable on gumtree, I then had a few bits of repair to the couplers mechanism which was very dismaying.
However I did get it repaired fully.
Now the box is playing lovely, I’m so glad I bought it as it’s the nicest, easiest playing instrument I’ve ever owned.
That’s just my thoughts though..
Daniel

MikeK

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 05:25:09 PM »
Over the years,I've also learned a lesson. I now make sure to see and test an instrument before parting with money .
Otherwise a bargain could become rather expensive,requiring repairs and tuning.

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2020, 08:08:57 AM »
It’s not always as straightforward with Shand Morino’s.
They are sixty years plus, and are quite sophisticated in the build, so quite often repairs  and tlc is required to get them to standard
If possible yes, get them tested first by a knowledgeable person.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal