Author Topic: BCC# Hohner time line inquiry  (Read 322 times)

IhaveHohnerEchoIV

BCC# Hohner time line inquiry
« on: April 23, 2021, 11:29:28 AM »
Hi All,

From Hohner trichord, Hohner Echo, Hohner Gaelic and Hohner Shand morino.

Does anyone know when and in which chronological order these instruments were released?

If anyone can share the history behind each one it would be very much appreciated.

Daniel McPhee

Re: BCC# Hohner time line inquiry
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 05:37:31 AM »
The book a history of Hohner states that the Hohner Echo 111 and ivs were manufactured by Accordeano ( a partner of Hohner at that time ) in Switzerland in 1933/4. ( how accurate this book is I can’t be sure ) as it’s generally believed they were made in the fifties.

Not too sure about the trichords although I would guess the same time as the gaelics ( early sixties) as they are advertised in the old Hohner catalogs along with the gaelics.

The first commercial Shand Morino’s started appearing around 1953/4 and the gaelic 111 and ivs around the early sixties as far as I know.
Hope this helps

Daniel 🙂
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 05:41:52 AM by Daniel McPhee »
Daniel McPhee

IhaveHohnerEchoIV

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 09:14:59 AM »
Thanks Daniel.

I find strange though. I messaged Hohner asking for hohner echo IV time period. They got back to me saying “ it was in our assortment the end of the 20’s of the last century.”

The information you have provided makes more sense.

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 09:25:16 AM »
I’m sure I posted pictures of that books page somewhere on here.
I don’t think they are true Hohners as such, as they were built in Switzerland by a partner company.
Fantastic wee boxes though.
Hohner today is very modern and wouldn’t have a log of the Echo as it was built by Accordeano, they have got a few written log books with serial numbers for the Shand Morino’s.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 09:37:59 AM by Daniel McPhee »
Daniel McPhee

Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 11:14:35 PM »
There is a list of Hohner accordion models with dates here:
https://buttonbox.org.uk/Hohner_Accordion_Model_Year_of_Maufacture.pdf

Unfortunately it is not complete. Although Trichord and Echo are mentioned, no dates are given. Gaelic and Shand Morino aren’t mentioned at all.
Regarding the Trichord, a pre-Trichord model, the Dreireiher (3 row-er) is listed as being produced in 1939. Older Trichords with the same “squared off” body shape must have been produced in the 1940s, presumably post-war, until 1955, when the rounded body shapes were introduced, also for the Double Ray, Erica, Corsa and Corona. I don’t know when the Trichord with the rounded body shape ceased production.
The Echo looks to have too modern a body shape to be pre-war; 1950s - 1960s seems more probable.
The older Gaelics seem to have a similar style gold treble couplers to the Concerto I piano accordion, in production mid-1950s to mid-1960s; that seems possible for when the Gaelic appeared. How long was it in production?
Although the Hohner Shand Morino isn’t mentioned in that list, its history seems well known. The first 4 of the classic 46-key Shand Morinos were delivered to Jimmy Shand in 1951. It continued in production, with some small design changes, including a 40-key model, and one major redesign in the 1970s, until 1975.
I note that I don’t have photos of the Echo III and IV in the gallery. I must try to remedy that. (I have a number of other photos to be uploaded, which I intend to do when I get one of those circular things - what's it called? - a round tuit).

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 01:26:58 AM »
It’s quite possible the Echo is 1950’s, although there’s no mention of it in my Hohner catalogue but that could be because it’s swiss made?
Hohner stopped using mother of Pearl buttons on the two bar 1958 Shand Morino’s, so I think definitely not 60’s for the Echo as they were all mop buttons  ( I’ve always doubted Hohner used 123 bar Morino grilles at an anytime basis as I’ve never seen a three bar 1950’s commercial  Shand Morino ) but I agree about the Echos body shape seeming too modern, but then again Echo’s always seem to have a tremendous amount of bodywear compared to the gaelics
Is there any information around on the Accordeano company?

Most folk i heard off who actually  bought new Gaelics say it was around 62/3 time but again I’m not 💯 % on this, i feel fairly certain the gold coupler models were made in Germany although why the later model where Swiss I don’t know.
I  knew about the four 1951 Shand’s but for some reason i always thought they were thicker in tone more like a gola, hence I mentioned the commercial Shand Morino.
It’s an interesting timeline though.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 03:48:42 PM by Daniel McPhee »
Daniel McPhee

MikeK

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 09:52:23 AM »
 A few years ago, I bought a Gaelic IV from a German dealer. This box was advertised as  in pristine condition. When it arrived, it looked like it had never been played. It had the gold couplers. The only difference was it did not have a groove on the treble board and the whole box was a tad smaller than the German made ones. I thought it was easier to play than the one I bought of Brandon, on which, as young lad, he played 'The Dark Island'.
On making enquiries as to why it was not made in Germany, I was told that Hohner had switched production to Switzerland during the war and still continued to do so for a while afterwards.

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 03:38:35 PM »
That’s a new bit of information then, I always thought the gold couplered Gaelics were all German made, some were marginally larger than others.
Interesting.
Daniel McPhee

maggiewull

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 06:59:15 PM »
HI Folks,
I bought a black Hohner Echo 1V 3yrs ago in Edinburgh.it appeared to have been well overhauled beforehand
There is a number FD 3528 / 13 2 94 in the bellow folds I believe that is a Forbes of Dundee stock No. but I don't know if that is a date following it
The other bit of info I have is the serial No.not very clear ,but Hohner DE. say made in Switzerland so no record of date,
Inside the carrying case which I am fairly sure is original there is an owners name and address in Dunfermline dated 1960 and then moved house 1965.
I will include photo for Bill' Gallery
Hope this may be helpfull
Bill C
Corso Cc,  Echo 1V.

Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 07:44:06 PM »
Thanks Bill. The bigger the better for the photo - please email it to me at info@buttonbox.org.uk.

IhaveHohnerEchoIV

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 09:10:15 PM »
Thank yo all.

So informative.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal